4.13.2013

BOOK REVIEW: Perfect Chemistry by Simon Elkeles

Perfect Chemistry


Summary from Goodreads:

A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.

When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. 

Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.

In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.


MY THOUGHTS:

Through reading this book, I realize that an addictive, hard-to-put-down book doesn't always mean that it would be good. Truth be told - I didn't like it as much as I want to. 

I felt like the plot was all too predictable - perfect girl meets bad boy, falls in love - that kind of cliche. Maybe I just expected too much from the book due to the hype it's been getting. The narration was done by both the main characters Alex and Brittany alternately and for the first part of it, I couldn't even differentiate their voices. I felt like their voices are not distinct enough. 

As for the positive points of the book - I love all of the characters. They felt like real persons to me. I think the main theme of the book is how we all tend to hide and maintain a certain facade to the world. I really like how it was incorporated into the plot. It serves as an eye-opener that most of the time we tend to live up to the expectations of other people instead of living a life we intend to have.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment