4.13.2013

BOOK REVIEW: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just One Day


Summary from Goodreads:

A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay

When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines. 


MY THOUGHTS: 

WOW!

I don't really know what to say about this book because it's a lot to take in. I just want my review to somehow give justice how wonderfully crafted this book had been.

The book seems to communicate to me on a more personal level - it means so much to me. Allyson is so me. I don't know if she's afraid of being herself or she's just plainly confused. All her life, she was just boring, reliable, predictable Allyson - there's so much expectation from her that she felt obliged to live up to it. In order to make other people happy, she ends up being miserable. It's always what they expect from her, it was never what she wants. Simply because, she was never bold enough to stand for what she wanted or she never really know what it is so she let other people decide for her. 

It has been a truly amazing journey of finding herself in the midst of Europe no less. 

The plot was perfectly executed - how one event led to another, and how everything turned out in the end. I can't help but admire the author's genius. 

This book made me want to live life the best way possible, take more risks, open myself to more opportunities, anything and everything. 

ACCIDENTS. MIRACLES AND LIFE ITSELF. I NEED "JUST FOR ONE YEAR" NOW! haha 

RATING: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. I must read this. Are you going to Gayle Forman's Book signing event? I'm going by the way. hehe

    I nominated you on Liebster Award. Please check my post.
    http://beatricemasalunga.blogspot.com/2014/01/liebster-award-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks beatrice! I'll make sure to check it out. Yes! I'm definitely going. I loved this book because it so me. But I was disappointed with its sequel. :|

    ReplyDelete